Tuesday, June 28, 2011

A Little Africa at the Library

Tuesdays are library day for us and our little local library's summer reading program is "Around the World." Today, we went to Africa. I must admit, I was super excited about this probably even more than Toby and Addie. We had a beautiful woman LaVelle come speak, sing, dance and engage the kids. She is from the Congo and is part of an African Dance Troupe. She also owns an amazing Italian restaurant, but I digress. It was so much fun watching her as she explained her instruments and ceremonies. If I had this blogging thing down, I would have thought to bring my camera. Unfortunately, Toby had lost his little plastic bluebird and was so distraught he couldn't participate and Addie was so busy trying to help Toby that she was preoccupied as well - oh well, maybe next time After it was over, I went to talk with her to let her know I would be in Africa next week - yes people, next week! We talked about the adoption and about Ethiopia. She has many Ethiopian friends and is in complete agreement that they are the most beautiful people in the world. I was also able to ask her about hair care which I am incredibly nervous about. All this to say that today's meeting was an answer to prayer.

We live in a very, very rural area without much diversity. I want my children to have relationships with people who look like them. I don't want to pretend race doesn't matter. I wish it didn't, but it does. I grew up in El Paso, Texas which is on the border of Mexico. In certain circumstances I was the minority. I had racial slurs used against me and I didn't like it. I didn't truly believe white people were racist until I moved to Waco, Texas for college. Talk about a change in perspective. I have a lot to learn in this area about things way more important than hair care, but I want to learn. I want my children to know that their feelings are important to me. I don't want them to feel isolated. I know I won't be able to protect them from everything, but I will be there to walk with them through it. And today I made a new friend who can probably teach me a lot.

1 comment: